9/12/09

Yard Sailing

It rained last night but this am -- to my surprise -- it looked dry out, with a few damp spots.
The sun was peeking out under the gray clouds. The weather report was that there would be some AM sun and clouds and afternoon rain and showers.

Today the big annual fundraising yard sales near UNH happen. Very exciting.
We go every year.
So we hop in the car and take off and go to our favorite sale site first.
My husband drops us off, and parks the car a mile away.
That is to prevent us from buying heavy things we must carry that distance.

We get there and it is all organized so differently and the prices were so HIGH!
Higher than usual and I felt, overpriced although all money goes back into the community.
I felt bad for the more unfortunate people who had to deal with these prices.
I go to the toy section to find diorama stuff but because it is so organized, most of the stuff is in lots with big price tags. I manage to find three small items for $1.75.

My children ran to electronics and came back with a report that they saw two PlayStation 1 games they would like. Yes, we have never updated but everyone is still happy with the orignal $15.00 lot we got years ago. I give them money and they run away, but not for good.

Meanwhile I see my husband in the distance has bought himself a pair of ice skates. HMMMM.
I ask myself "Why?" since he has not skated in years. I am not too sure he could stand up in them.

The kids come back. The games cost a total of $2 -- bargains.
We go look at clothing for our winning Halloween costumes.
My son starts to complain as it starts to rain. That is his job to complain.
We find a few things -- my daughter got a new Nine West leather wallet for pennies, hardly used and a few "found" mementos inside that made us laugh.
Time for a donut break.
At this point I realize I am carrying around the clothing on the hangers. So I go back in the building to return the hangers and bag the clothing. When I come out, where are the other three family members?
This is like a bad dream/nightmare. We did not bring the cell phones.
I imagine taking the bus home without them, such a pipe dream.

So I go wait in a conspicuous place and find a few more Halloween things at another table.
Still no sign of them.
It is starting to rain lightly.
Finally after 30 minutes, I spy them. They said they looked for me in the Books but I never made it in there, too hot and crowded. My husband found a TKD sports bag for my son -- great, something we actually needed on our list however, he puts his new skates in the bag. A bad sign.

We call it quits after an hour due to the rain, walk back to the car, and it is now raining a bit harder.
As we drive home, it is pouring buckets out.
Great timing and the kids played the games. Rainy day entertainment fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment