11/5/07

Weekend Whimsies


It has been busy and all of us had a bug one at a time over a week. I did not think we were going to make it to the big Halloween costume party (10/27) but we dragged ourselves there and naturally we won again and it was stormy out again, second year in a row.

So here is the revelation -- My husband and children were the Three Blind Mice named EenyMeany, Miney, and Moe (had name tags). I was the Farmers wife, Mrs. Farm-ah-dell-phia (wife of the Farmer in the Dell but still the Farmer's wife who cut off the tails with the carving knife). So we incorporated three nursery rhymes into our theme plus the beauty queen who smelled of manure after sweeping the barn, joking.

The costumes:
The mice had on basic gray sweats, a gray cap hat with mouse ears I made, cool sunglasses and we got yard decoration candy canes and sprayed them black.

I had on a 1930's style dress, an apron, a lovely paper sash with "Mrs. Farm-ah-dell-phia" on it held together with a clothes pin, a lovely crown (from my Miss America days LOL), a cow printed purse (something my Mom had and I kept) with the carving knife and three pink tails (painted upholstery cording).

What we bought: cording (painted it pink), plastic knife (glows in the dark!), sunglasses, gray caps, fabric for ears (most expensive item: felt), and the candy canes. This cost approx $20, most from the dollar store.
The sweats for three people were around $45 at WalMart. We got them in early September before the rush. However, they can be worn anyways so it was not a huge expense.
My costume was stuff I found around the "museum", our house.

This year they gave out four new prizes to best decorated house in town. Our neighbor won that. She was hoping for a gift certificate to the electric company. LOL

Trick or Treating
Not many people came down the big hill to our spookily decorated house (Ideas from Martha we are building on yearly.)
My daughter dressed as a "lawyer" to pass out the candy. She "objected" a few kids she knew and gave more candy to the ones she thought were good kids. Little kids always got something.
My son went out as Mr. Conductor of the Ghost Train. He gets to wear two costumes a year, one for the contests we enter and the other for the neighborhood.

I was inspired by a costume I saw on The Today Show.
White shirt, vest
Suit coat (double breasted navy blue Christian Dior wool jacket I got at a rummage sale)
hat I put gold cording on, tag on the hat that said "Ghost Train"
name tag: Mr. Conductor
gold pocket watch (borrowed from Dad)
an electronic device that had train sound effects on it
a painted can of a ghost face (recycled from the Ghostbuster outfits a few years ago),
and a huge Mylar ghost balloon (approx 3 1/2 feet high), which was tied to the can handle and followed him.
He opted out of wearing white face makeup to look like a ghost.
Most people were impressed with the Christian Dior double breasted blazer. LOL

My son won a seat on the Student Council!
Eight students in his 4th classroom were running and the top two votes would win the seats.
First we had to sign forms, a new concept here and a good one.
They were allowed one 18 by 24 poster. I saw a scrapbook page that would work so we did that. It looked great!
I also made him a clip on tag that said "Vote for Pip" to wear. I had him wear a white shirt, tie (that killed him he said), vest, and blue suit coat (wore this as Mr. Conductor costume also).
They were allowed a short speech of four sentences and then they voted.
My son read his speech and after it did that hip hop nation thing, pound his chest with his fist twice and then did the peace sign, which I was told, made everyone laugh.
I hope this helps him be more organized and responsible.
I overheard him being corrupt at the Halloween party bragging he was a member.
I put the kibosh on that with a lesson.


Ballroom Dancing Lessons
Yes, my son (age 9) and I are taking five lessons. He is doing really well and we have fun although it is tiring on both of us. Only two more lessons and we are done.
When it is nice out, we practice in our driveway.

My daughter has done nothing significant to report (except her lawyer stint) and she would be happy for you to know that.
I did find this new word: ephebiphobia meaning the fear of teenagers.
I laughed.

My husband is on odd shifts making life around here a bit more difficult. So be it.
Then there was all the other stuff -- open house at the schools, personal business, decision making, scrapbook store visits, cleaning the house, laundry, raking leaves, walking the dogs . . .

Oh blah de oh blah dah Life goes on la la la la life goes on . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment