2/7/07

Martini Moms Club

I saw this report last week on the Today Show and was a little surprised.
Basically, the concept is that Moms get together for kiddie playtimes and have cocktails while the little kiddes play.
Today, they re-ran it with feedback from the general public. They said they got lots with both views of pros and cons.

The feedback presented consisted of four emails that they shared then a discussion with a professional psychologist and the Mom in the featured piece who wrote a book.
One email stated that guys watch sports while watching the children and have a beer or two. No one thinks anything of that. Why can't woman have a drink anyways?
Another said anyone can have a drink when they feel like it as long as they don't overdo it and remain focused and responsible for their children.

During the discussion, it was suggested that one parent have a drink, and the other be the designated parent.
One email also stated that the parents shared a beer at dinner, and the author responded with why not have a whole beer instead?

I don't drink, never have.
I don't think it is a good idea for a cocktail hour playdate though for a number of reasons.
First and foremost, how are you suppose to know if a Mom comes to the play date already "primed" before she has a cocktail there because she is a secret closet alchoholic? She drives there, and drives back home with more drink in her.

We have all heard about lawsuits against parents who allow their children to drink at underage graduation parties and then the terrible accidents that happen. Is this not the same scene only with adults who drive small children to playdates?

We have all heard of the lawsuits against dining establishments who served a customer continueously and was quite wired when they left and then had a terrible accident.

I remember my Aunt having a few martinis (daily) before dinner with the neighbor at our summer lakeside cottage. I remember them getting a bit loopy (daily) and when something happened to one of the kids, there was no response or responsibility by her, the adult. The older kids had to be the parent and help.
My Aunt also was not cooking dinner, we all had to fend for ourselves, naturally, again, older kids taking care of the younger ones. I was staying with my Aunt while she was at our cottage but I told my Mom how I did not like this set up (being one of the older kids (my age 11-13) who was cottage bound not running around).

If you are going to be responsible and take care of business properly -- I say, yes, have a drink, but I would do it when the kids are in bed and then relax.

No comments:

Post a Comment